Bowhead seeks a Research Analyst to support the Engineering Research and Development Center, Environmental Labs contract located in Vicksburg, MS. The Research Analyst will participate and execute coastal projects focused on the use of Nature Based Solutions, Natural and Nature Based Features and Natural Infrastructure, and potential impact of USACE dredging activities in coastal ecosystems. The Research Analyst shall work with the team on experimental design, data collection, analysis of results, and writing reports and papers.
- Participation in weekly team meetings to provide oral updates about ongoing work; Monthly written status reports and data summaries; Additional quarterly reporting via laboratory and field data sheets and data sets via electronic media; Providing materials for written reports that are suitable for inclusion in technical publications.
- Execution of lab work, such as processing of benthic samples and sediment grain size analyses, and field sample collections for submerged aquatic vegetation, benthic samples, and/or water quality data associated with coastal ecosystems.
- Manage lab and field supplies and identify items that need to be ordered in maintain necessary levels.
- Prepare, calibrate, and maintain field equipment such as YSI water quality units.
- Specific areas of work may include: invertebrate ecology, submerged aquatic vegetation, salt marsh ecology, coastal restoration, invasive species, ecological study design, and/or threatened and endangered species.
- Work may include field data collections efforts in nearshore and offshore environments that require working from a boat.
- Other tasks would involve: Analyzes experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings; keeps detailed logs of all work-related activities; uses computers and computer-interfaced equipment to perform work duties; cleans, maintains, and prepares supplies and work areas; and sets up, adjusts, calibrates, cleans, maintains, and troubleshoots laboratory and field equipment. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Travel Requirement: Travel to assist with collection of field samples and to attend stakeholder meetings in the Great Lakes and Great Plains Regions (Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Kansas). Travel may also include regional trips (Mississippi and Louisiana). Each trip would be for 5 to 10 days for the Great Lakes and Great Plains Region; regional travel may include day trips or travel up to 5-days. Estimating a total for 8 trips will be required for this task.
• Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
• Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged amounts of time
• Must be able to twist, bend, and squat periodically
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to obtain a Public Trust (NAC) level clearance. US Citizenship is a requirement for this location.