Ukpeaġvik Iñupiat Corporation (UIC) is the village corporation of Barrow, Alaska and is recognized as one of Alaska's top 10 companies with approximately 4,000 employees nationwide and revenues above $700M annually. UIC is projected to grow substantially in the coming years to become a top 3 company in Alaska by 2030.
As a proud Alaska Native Corporation, our success brings growth and benefits to our Inupiat shareholders. The size and diversity of our operations means we have a broad variety of career opportunities. We recruit only qualified people looking to join a workforce characterized by strong leadership, competent and hard-working staff, and a superior work environment with a focus on career development, great wages and benefits.
UIC Science Housekeeper is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the Ukpik Nest II, Building 42, and the Barrow Arctic Research Center and other facilities as requested by the supervisor which include hallways, and restrooms, the front and back entry areas, kitchens, dining areas, rooms and the surrounding grounds for
UIC Science located at NARL.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Clean rooms as needed, washing all linens, sweep and mop and vacuum, dust and replace linens.
Collect all trash in plastic bags, replace with clean plastic bags in all wastebaskets.
Empty entry area wastebasket and cigarette butt cans. Place trash in dumpsters on a daily basis.
Vacuum all carpeted areas, moving all movable furniture, chairs, wastebaskets, etc. as needed to clean under and around. Replace all furniture and items in a neat and orderly fashion. Shampoo carpet as needed.
Sweep and mop all linoleum and floor tiled areas and chair mats, moving all movable furniture, chairs, wastebaskets, etc. as needed to clean under and around. Replace all furniture and items in a neat and orderly fashion. Wax and machine buff as needed.
Dust and polish all open visible surfaces, including desks, tables, file cabinets, door frames, windowsills, etc., being careful to not disturb files for paperwork left on desks and tables. Do not disturb any computers that are left on. Clean furniture upholstery as needed.
Empty and clean all coffee pots and cups, dishes, utensils, and the like. Wash, rinse, and store in a sanitary manner. Clean kitchen equipment, tables and countertops. Replenish paper towels and hand soaps throughout facilities.
Clean and disinfect toilets and urinals. Clean and disinfect bathroom countertops, sinks, and other fixtures. Clean and disinfect walls, stalls, and floors. Maintain adequate supply of tissue, c-fold towels, and hand soaps in restrooms. Clean and disinfect water fountains.
Inspect and clean walls, doors, glass doors, and windows on a routine basis.
Keep cleaning supplies and equipment in a neat and orderly fashion. Maintain inventory. Submit requests for supplies needed to maintain adequate supply on-hand.
Be responsible for security of all areas under his/her scope of work, including locking all offices, entrances, and windows and turning off all lights upon leaving the building.
Notify the office with concerns for repairs and maintenance and anything of questionable condition, including broken doors, locks, windows, fixtures, lights, leaks, etc. Change light bulbs as needed.
Shovel snow from entryway, front and back as required.
Other duties as assigned
• Must be 18 years of age
• Ability to test for and pass a Non-DOT pre-employment drug screening, and must follow all Non-DOT Drug and Alcohol testing program requirements.
• High School Diploma and/or equivalent
• 3 to 6 months general housekeeping experience preferred
• Inupiaq speaking preferred
• Must be reliable and dependable.
• Ability to operate cleaning equipment.
• Ability to safely use cleaning chemicals and compounds.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to lift or carry 50 lbs. of equipment.
• Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
• Reaching overhead
• Repeating the same movements.
• Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Climbing ladders and working from heights as necessary
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of custodial equipment
• Clarity of vision at varying distances to perform custodial duties.
• Working with chemicals
• Indoor/outdoor environment subject to changing temperatures
• Regular exposure to fumes, dust, odors, and loud noises.
• Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals
• Direct contact with public and staff.