Ukpeaġvik Iñupiat Corporation (UIC) is the village corporation of Barrow, Alaska and is recognized as one of Alaska's top 10 companies with approximately 4,000 employees nationwide and revenues above $700M annually. UIC is projected to grow substantially in the coming years to become a top 3 company in Alaska by 2030.
As a proud Alaska Native Corporation, our success brings growth and benefits to our Inupiat shareholders. The size and diversity of our operations means we have a broad variety of career opportunities. We recruit only qualified people looking to join a workforce characterized by strong leadership, competent and hard-working staff, and a superior work environment with a focus on career development, great wages and benefits.
The Ukpeaġvik Iñupiat Corporation is seeking an experienced detail-orientated GL accountant to work in the Barrow office, to perform accounting tasks in collaboration with internal departments. We only recruit qualified people looking to join a company with strong leadership, and competent and hard-working staff.
General Ledger Accountant supports the Accounting and Finance team by providing accounting duties that includes accounts payable (AP), accounts receivable (AR), data and account analysis, account reconciliations, and financial reporting in an accurate and timely manner.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Addressing check requests, coding corporate AP, and accruing monthly payables
• Recording AR and non-AR related payments from customers
• Responsible for processing a variety of financial transactions within multiple accounting software programs and bank accounts
• Process and reconcile monthly BOD stipends
• Responsible for processing, reconciling, and distributing Shareholder dividends and Trust distributions for over 4,000 Shareholders
• Acts as tax liaison between the corporation and our tax consultants for filings, payments, notices, and refunds
• Acting as the banking liaison for generic banking requests and needs, including credit cards
• Responds to and completes the Annual and Quarterly US Census reports
• Supports the Corporate Controller and CFO, including other duties as assigned
• General office support in Barrow
Skills: Analytical, detailed orientated, complex problem solving, active listening, critical thinking, coordination & instruction, judgment & decision-making, monitoring and quality control analysis.
Knowledge: Accounting standards & regulatory requirements, month end closing process, customer & personal service, computers & electronics, telecommunications, education & training.
Abilities: Written and verbal communication skills, problem sensitivity, deductive & inductive reasoning, working on a team and independently, and be able to expand responsibilities.
• Must have a minimum of five (5) years accounting experience and have prepared & posted month end closing entries
• Proficient at Microsoft Office, in particular Excel
• Previous employment at an Alaska Native Village or Corporation preferred
• Knowledge of SL Dynamics and Sage 200 experience preferred
• BA in Accounting or Finance preferred
Common office equipment such as:
• Copy Machines
• Fax Machine
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is performed within a normal office environment involving occasional reaching, stretching, bending and moving about. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.