Ukpeaġvik Iñupiat Corporation (UIC) is the village corporation of Barrow, Alaska and one of Alaska’s top ten companies. We employ over 3500 people generating $350 million in revenues across the United States and the world. As a proud Alaska Native Corporation, our success brings tremendous growth and benefits to our 3,000 Iñupiaq shareholders. UIC’s diversified commercial and government services business lines include technical and professional services, engineering, manufacturing, maintenance, architecture, marine, regulatory consulting, construction, and operations supporting the community of Barrow. We recruit only qualified people looking to join a company with strong leadership, competent and hard-working staff, and a superior work environment. Our pay and benefits are competitive, and we differentiate UIC as an employer by investing in our employees’ professional development.
• Builds, repairs, and installs counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, building framework, and trim.
• Perform roof work, repair fencing.
• Install glass in windows, doors, and partitions.
• Replace damaged ceiling tiles, floor tiles, and wall coverings.
• Build cabinets and other wooden equipment as requested.
• Knowledge of interior dry wall tasks and painting experience.
• Install items such as window shades, window blinds, curtain rods, wall fans, door and locking hardware.
• Perform mechanical/plumbing/electrical work/repair or upgrades which may require assemble installation, trouble-shoot or repair, as needed.
Perform preventive maintenance of UIC properties as assigned.
• Maintain open and responsive communication with the Maintenance Supervisor, and reports any incident, situation or activity that may affect the Corporation’s ability to operate safely, ethically and profitable.
• On-call 24-hour days when designated by the Maintenance Supervisor.
• Perform other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERTISE:
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of tenants or employees of organizations.
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
• The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to extreme cold. The employee frequently works in high, precarious places and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Must be able to tolerate stress and be a team player.
• On-call 24-hour days when designated by the Maintenance Supervisor
• Perform other duties as assigned.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, candidates should be aware that they may be required to have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire.
• One year certificate from college or technical school, or 1-2 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Two to three year’s increasingly responsible experience in the North Slope Region and with facilities maintenance and operations.
• Must have valid Alaska Driver’s License, preferably Commercial Driver’s License.