SR. ENVIRONMENATL DATA SCIENTIST (ERDC-22-0774-F):
Bowhead is seeking a Sr. Environmental Data Scientist to join our team in Vicksburg, MS to support our US Army Corps of Engineers customer at the Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) for a recently awarded Environmental Lab contract. The ERDC Environmental Lab contract is tasked with satisfying Army and Department of Defense (DoD) requirements which may include: analysis of baseline (i.e., reference) wetland conditions as well as wetland functional status in disturbed, altered, restored, or created environments. In particular, studies focused on the performance and trajectory of restored/created environments are of interest including the cycling of nutrients, elements, and other compounds within wetland systems. The Sr. Data Scientist will be responsible for the development of coastal marsh models that integrate both physical and biological components for simulation and condition assessments. The Sr. Data Scientist will also work with the team on conceptualization of model system, quantification of model parameters, evaluation of model structure and performance, data collection, analysis of results, and writing reports and papers.
- Execution code development in Python, evaluation of model components using modern model evaluation techniques, software debugging, calculation and assessment of condition metrics, field data collection, and GIS data processing.
- Processing of benthic samples and sediment grain size analyses, and field sample collections for submerged aquatic vegetation, benthic samples, and/or water quality data associated with coastal ecosystems.
Specific areas of work may include: ecological modeling, software coding, statistical analysis, remote sensing and GIS analysis, ecological study design. Travel Requirement: Travel to stakeholder meetings and to execute field work. CONUS and OCONUS travel may be required.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, candidates should be aware that they may be required to have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire.
• Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
• Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged amounts of time
• Must be able to twist, bend, and squat periodically
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to obtain a clearance at the Public Trust level. US Citizenship is a requirement for Secret clearance at this location.